Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Soreness and moving on after

You caught me red handed. After a tough workout, I’m just as prone to laying my sore butt on the couch for the entire following day. Although I know some activity would do me good, it’s much easier to accept keeping your hurt parts stationary instead.

However, after stealing some classic abs & legs of steal videos from my mom’s collection, I felt the need to release some of that built up acid from my hurtin’ muscles. One of my favorite methods to workout out some post workout woes is to hit the pool. The water keeps all pressure off your body. Be it a few laps, or just some floating, surrounding yourself in the water is relaxing and allows your body to stretch in different ways that the couch can’t quite handle.

Another great tip is to get some low impact work done. Head out for a walk with your family or friends, or watch your favorite show while stretching. If all else fails, get yourself going on a house clean or laundry. It’ll get you moving despite the soreness and get tasks accomplished as well.

If heading to any form of organized fitness activity is out of the question (which I can very much understand), hop in the bath or take a long shower. Despite a quick shower to get ready in the morning, I jumped back into the tub later that night, paying special attention to self massage the hurt areas. Working out the soreness yourself can get deeper than stretching, and also connects you to your body at a deeper level than normal.

No matter what your case of soreness is, find some joy in the fact that the pain is a sign of your body reacting to the hard work you’re putting in, and keep at it!