Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What your workout apparel says about you

I forgot how interesting going on vacation with your family could be. We got together this Easter in Chicago to visit my sister. Between my parents, siblings and I, there were a handful of necessary stops that were an absolute necessity for one of us, and a semi-bore for the rest. After seeing all Crate and Barrel had to offer per my sister’s request, we had to make a stop in Nike Town for my dad.

Personally, I never knew there was enough workout apparel to fill a three floor building. Seeing everything at Nike Town really got me thinking about the new obsession with workout clothes.

Admit it- when you’re at the gym, the woman with the full Adidas jumpsuit looks like she means business, while the man wearing tiny 70’s style gym shorts, a large sweatshirt and tube socks looks out of place. This isn’t just a difference in style, but the way sporting good companies are changing the way we view fitness.

What should it matter how we look while we’re working out? Workout gear has even extended past the gym as I’ve seen many fancy workout jackets and track pants around town on errands.

Stores like Nike and Adidas have taken full advantage of the national obesity awakening. Besides finding all the workout gear you could ever imagine, you can also find Nike brand polo shirts and Bermuda shorts.

Taking after my dad, I could 'oh' and 'ah' in Nike Town for awhile. I walked through the store looking at things that I would need to come back with a bigger wallet for, just to leave and realize none of that mattered. I’ve always been a classic t-shirt kind of girl, and no $80 zip-up will motivate me anymore to get out on the treadmill.

What is your normal workout wardrobe like?