Monday, January 26, 2009

Do you cross-train?

Cross training keeps your workouts unpredictable, allowing your body the most out of each workout. I know I should cross train. Along with the fitness benefits, switching up workouts can prevent injuries and combat workout boredom. I've been running lots lately and loving it. Sometimes there's an element of confidence that plays into your workout routine too.

Since I run often, I know where to go and when, how to prepare, what to wear, who to call when I want a running partner and just about every other element down to my favorite running songs. Every now and then I'll hop on a bike at the gym and I try to incorporate lifting into my week as well, but I'm a flat out runner.

I know I need to cross train more than I am. Today, with the feeling of some shin-splits coming on, I skipped the running shoes for my bathing suit and hit the pool. Tomorrow, I'll get back out running again, but incorporate some interval work and biking as well.

What's your go to workout? Do you switch it up, how?