Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Reader Question: low carb, low sugar diets

One of my readers emailed me with a good question about dieting-

My husband is on a very low carb and sugar free diet. What is your opinion on these diets? New research on them? I find them extremely hard to stay on and do not have energy.

- Janel

I've never been a dieter. I love all different kinds of food too much to restrict myself and find I can maintain a desired weight with exercise and healthy eating. However, I understand that different dieting techniques work best for different people, and I encourage you, if interested in dieting, to read up on the best approach for you and try out several until you find one that works with your lifestyle.

I'm always weary to read about diets that cut out specific groups, as I think every food group is necessary in some regard. Carbs have been at the heart of the latest diets, promising results for cutting out the grainy group. I half agree, half disagree with the whole low carb theory. My explanation will take a bit of a nutrition lesson, so bare with me-

There are two types of carbohydrates- simple and complex. Natural simple carbs are going to be your basic fruits, while cakes, biscuits, honey, candy and refined sugar products. Basically, these guys are going to digest quickly, and give you an energy boost (hence the feeling of a sugar rush) without providing a ton of vitamins and minerals.

Complex carbs are where you're going to find your oats, wheats, whole grains, corn and beans. These guys are going to naturally provide you with energy from their vitamins and minerals.

While both provide you with energy, the quick disintegration of simple carbs in your body is more likely to convert your burst of energy into fat for storage.

With that information in mind, it's easy to see how cutting out carbs and sugar (sugar = simple carbs) from your diet can be beneficial. But, you'll notice that you'll want to keep some of those complex carbs around for their energy boost and essential nutrients.

To answer your question, Janel, to successfully manage a diet like your husbands, it takes some nutritional understanding. Because of the health benefits from complex carbs, I've found a lot of research against low/no carb diets. And while lean proteins have been shown to provide some of the energy boosting characteristics of complex carbs, I've yet to find research on any other food group that does wonders for your digestive system like the complex carb group does.

Of course everyone will have different results with different diets, but if you're looking to jump on the bandwagon with your husband on this one, I would suggest incorporating some of the complex carbs into your diet along with lean protein to see if that will help with your lack energy.

Here are two other sites I found that may be of interest for reading up on low carb dieting: My Pyramid Site & Kent State University Health Site. Hope this helps!

As always, I love receiving mail and reader questions. Email me at asizableapple@gmail.com with any blog feedback or to submit a reader question!