Monday, October 29, 2007

Alternative Sports- Tennis/Racquetball

I was recently at the gym with my family and saw the racquetball courts in use. I've never played racquetball, but it looked like a great way to stay in shape and to keep up with tennis skills during the colder months. Because not too many people are familiar with playing racquetball, I thought I would introduce tennis as an alternative sport.

I recently found on the United States Tennis Association site a chart on the top 10 calorie burning activities. In addition, it was almost one of the only activities that almost met all the criteria on the chart, offering cardio burning, resistance benefits, weight baring benefits, and works the upper and lower body.

Racquetball is a great high energy sport that mirrors the movements of tennis. Most workout facilities have racquetball courts for rent, and the sport makes a great indoor twist on an outdoor favorite.