Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Winter Sports

I love being home with my friends and family for the holidays. The best part about spending time at home is the time we spend packed on the couch playing cards, watching tv and catching up. In addition, when on topic, my siblings and parents are quick to spout out new ideas for A Sizable Apple posts, and always tell me about the newest recipes and workout tips they've tried.

Recently, my sister had the idea to highlight some of the best ways to exercise during the winter season. I know not all my readers get to experience cooler climates, but living in Michigan all my life, I can't help but do a little research on how to make half the year a little more enjoyable outside.

My mother is an avid runner and the winter months don't stop her. She'll be out while the sun is rising getting her miles in for the day. She uses YakTrax every morning to add a little support on her running shoes in the different conditions.

Years ago, me and my dad use to go cross country skiing around town, and while we don't have the equipment anymore, it's a great activity, along with snow shoeing for a crowd and to get children involved with. I've even seen families trek through neighborhoods on snowy winter days. New equipment of any sort can get expensive, but if you look through local garage sales, re-selling sports shops and online you may be able to find a decently priced set.

Ice skating, skiing, snowboarding and sledding are all great calorie burners as well, and since moving in snow or sand is more difficult, even snow ball fights can be a great way to get a workout and enjoy the weather.

For all your winter outdoor activities, its important to remember that hypothermia can be a very dangerous problem. Here is a great link to a site I found which discusses winter sport safety.