Thursday, January 17, 2008

10 best food you're not eating

My brother told me about an article he saw about the 10 best foods you may or may not be eating. I thought it was pretty interesting and decided to poke around and see if I could find the original article.

More so, I was curious to see what I wasn't eating, and see why I should be. Overall I found the article very informative, and a good read for anyone specifically who has health problems and looking for foods that may specifically provide lower cholesterol, blood pressure or fight cancer.

1. Beets:
Can lower your risk of heart disease, and fight cancers.

2. Cabbage:
One cup chopped cabbage has only 22 calories. It also reduces your risk of cancer.

3. Guava:
Fights cancer, provides a boost of potassium, and is also very high in fiber

4. Swiss Chard:
Protect your eyes from aging.

5. Cinnamon:
Controls blood sugar, fights LDL (bad) cholesterol, increase your body's ability to metabolize sugar.

6. Purslane: *(popular vegetable in China, Mexico and Greece)
Highest amount of omega-3 fats

7. Pomegranate juice:
Decreased blood pressure, improve blood flow & has high percentage of vitamin C.

8. Goji berries: *(popular in Tibet, taste like a cross between cranberry/cherry)
Highest antioxidant power of any fruit, reduce insulin resistance.

9. Dried plums:
Fights against damage to your cells

10. Pumpkin seeds:
High magnesium (doctors say those with higher levels of magnesium in their blood have a 40% less risk of early death.)