Monday, January 7, 2008

Ultimate Fitness Plan: 2008

Last November I wrote about Women's Health Magazine's Ultimate Fitness Plan for 2007. Although I brought the news of their plan late, I promised to keep on my toes about new plans for 2008. As promised, here is WH's 2008 fitness plan.

The plan has a 6-month workout program, tests to gauge your starting fitness level and to track improvement, a workout log, videos, and expert advice.
Signing up for the program was among the easiest of all programs I've reviewed. The fitness program has a simple starting test to see where you stand before recommending programs.

Although the test is helpful to see where you stand, it didn't seem to be very effective in judging a starting point as some other programs have been (especially last year's 2007 WH program).
I do admire how hands on the Ultimate Fitness Program is. They provide varying workouts and allow you to plug in your reps, and the amount of weight you use.

This is a great method to keeping track of how much you're lifting, and UFP also allows you to view each exercise, with details of how to do it and what muscles groups it works. The site allows you to retake your assessment test as often as you would like to stay on top of your routine.


The one flaw I found with the 2008 plan is the lack of nutrition help. Some of the other programs I've seen have nutrition options and changing meal plans to incorporate to your routine. A fitness plan should focus on all the aspects of healthy living, and this one seems to fall short in that department.


Overall, I would suggest the WH magazine's Ultimate Fitness Plan for those who are looking for new exercise tips, and looking for a way to keep track of your progress. If you're looking at starting a healthy lifestyle for the new year all together, I would suggest looking at the
Discovery Health National Body Challenge, I've posted a review here.