Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reader Question: Heart rate parameters with a heart rate monitor

Today's update will include a reader question regarding setting up a heart rate monitor. I found the research I found to be pretty valuable, even for those readers without their own personal system.-

I recently bought a Polar heart monitor watch. I guess I do not have it set right because it beeps at me telling me to lower my heart rate when I do not even feel like I am getting a good work out.

So I went back and read the directions which tell me that I need to program the watch with my heart rate parameters. Like my low and my high. Here is my question? How I am supposed to know those? And at what rate would I find myself burning the most fat?

I enjoy high intensity workouts, though. I like to walk but find myself bored if I do it too much. I just don't want my watch beeping at me the whole time. I guess I am going into anaerobic workout at times, but that is where I seem to really feel like I am getting an awesome workout.


Janel

Heart rates are a tricky business. People from fit to fat can have dramatically varying heart rates that never seem to make sense. When I use to swim competitively, we would do sets where the amount of rest you took depended on getting your heart rate down to a specific range. Two of the better swimmers on the team, only slightly differing in body types had substantially different heart rates. Girl A would touch, take her heart rate, and take off again, while Girl B had to get out of the pool, lay down, and after waiting 15-20 minutes, still had a resting heart rate well above the specific range.

That story in mind, you very well may find that your watch is beeping at you when you don't feel it should, which is also why setting the parameters are important. Although I'm not an expert on Polar products, I did find a site that seemed to answer your question. This site takes you through a few calculations to find your minimum and maximum intensity rate.

As for your question about a fat burning zone, I found quite a bit of confusing information. After sorting through a few sites, I found what I believe to be the clearest here (this site is good as well). It explains that most people burn the most fat in the 60-70% maximum heart rate area, or in moderate intensity. However, if you enjoy working out a a higher intensity, you can get the same results within the 70-80% range.

The first site also explains working out at a higher intensity boosts your metabolism afterwards, which can be a perk in favor of working a bit harder. I would suggest working at a level between the two zones, allowing yourself to work out at a slightly less intense level than you may be use to for a longer period of time.

As always, I enjoy reading and researching questions for readers. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please email me at asizableapple@gmail.com.