Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reader Question: quiet, little equipment workouts

I recently got an email from a reader interested in incorporating some quick quiet workouts into her day-

I have a very small living space (row house) with absolutely no space for any machines. But I do want to start exercising more while my kids are sleeping. The trainer at my gym (which I can only get to 2-3 times/week because of child care limitations) suggested I get a strength/resistance band with handles. I have a big exercise ball and a yoga mat, 5 and 8-lb hand weights. Thinking about getting a thing to stick up in a doorway to do pull-ups with. Any other ideas? Of either stuff or, more importantly, exercises that work well in small spaces and/or are quiet as I have to do them while my baby's sleeping?!
Thanks!

- Jessica

Right off hand a few ideas from previous posts came to mind. My post on stretch bands and stability balls part one and two both offer great advice and links to videos and sites that have good programs. I think it's most important, when starting a workout routine, to ask yourself what you want to accomplish. Although I don't know Jessica's case specifically other than her space and noise requirements, I have complied a good all-around basic workout guide.

Band and balls are especially great for those in Jessica's situation- lacking space and needing a quiet exercise. I've done a variety of work on stability balls, from laying with the ball under my back, feet bent, and using free weights for an arm fly. You can also do some variations on push-ups balancing the ball at your hips, knees and toes for difference challenge levels, and do some rolling wall sits/squats with the ball between you and the wall (works well with free weights in hands as well).


Here is a great site with a variety of stability ball exercises, which includes details on muscle groups used, pictures and videos. Runner's World also had a great feature on stability ball core work here as well.

Core work, (as shown by my post on
core muscles) is also a great quiet workout to do with little to no equipment. Strengthening your mid-muscles makes almost all other exercises much easier. Here is a great slide show on core workouts that need no added equipment.

Medicine balls are also a favorite of mine. You can pair up medicine ball work with some crunches, hold the ball in place while doing lunges or squats, or add it to an existing stability ball workout.
Here is a good site that shows some great uses of your medicine ball.

Since almost all of the workouts I suggested above (perhaps save the stability ball) require little equipment, these would be great to do in a
burst exercise series or if you're on the go. Specifically I would suggest taking a look around on the Internet or on the sites I provided for exercises that target exactly what you're looking for, or spend a few days getting comfortable with your equipment and trying new routines out.

As always, I love hearing feedback from readers and enjoy taking on reader questions or challenges! Email me at asizableapple@gmail.com for questions or tips!