Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bread & olive oil to suppress appetite?

Can a slice of bread and olive oil before dinner help you eat less? I was stunned when I heard Oprah’s favorite doctor, Dr. Oz preach this idea on her show today. Now listen, I’ve downed plenty of bread and dipping olive oil when eating at restaurants and can always find room for a whole dinner on top of that.

How would a little snack before hand make any difference? I found info on both the Men’s Health Magazine website and Oprah’s site as well. Men’s Health Magazine says-

“olive oil stimulates the release of cholecystokinin, a gut hormone that signals the brain to stop eating”.
What do you think? Both sites say to let a slice of whole wheat bread soak in about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and consume 15-20 minutes before dinner.

Personally, I’d hate to rely on oil soaked bread as part of my daily dinner routine. What else would I be prone to soak in fatty oil later? The tips and tricks I thrive on placing good foods close to where I’d see them, and eating slowly to evaluate when my body says I’m full.

Besides, as I’ve learned from my first course at restaurants, just because you feel full, doesn’t mean you’re full on good food. If having sopping bread will make me eat less of my salad or stir-fry, what’s the point?

Any readers interested in taking the plunge, in the spirit of science?