Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Zoo-de-mack training diaries

Two weeks ago I updated about the bike trip me and my family were preparing for. My previous post was corrected by the lovely folks hosting the event about the logestics of Zoo-de-mack.


"
Zoo-de-Mackinac isn’t a race but a huge group ride. You will still need to train for some of those killer climbs the first half of the ride, not to mention training your butt for 51 miles on a bike seat”

- Sarah @ Zoo-de-Mack

I promised I would update with a three part diary from myself, my sister and my mom and how our training varies. Our trip is less than a month away!

My sister in Chicago is getting ready for our ride without a bike. Hers has already made its way up north and is being stored near the beginning of the race. Here’s my sister’s update on her training!:

I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous for the bike trip. It's just over a month away, and I don't really feel that prepared. I haven't ridden by bike in almost two years, and unfortunately, I don't have it here with me, so I can't use it to train at all. So that's problem number one: I hope I don't have any mechanical issues with the bike, and I'm also going to have to get used to riding my own bike again!

I work out between five and seven days per week, so in general, I think I'm in pretty decent shape. During the work week, I go to the gym during my lunch hour, which gives me enough time to work out for a half-hour. I usually run during this time, since running is lately my favorite form of exercise. In preparation for this trip, I've been biking sometimes, too. I've also been biking for longer time periods on the weekends, when I have more time (between an hour and an hour and a half).

The problem is that I just don't really enjoy riding on stationary bikes; I get bored easily, I guess! I also know that the bike trip is going to be several hours long, so I'm not sure how much my short rides are really preparing me. My dad, who participated in the bike trip a couple years ago, assures me that it's really not that hard. He says the course is relatively flat, which makes me feel better since I hate hills (and who doesn't?!).

Overall, though, despite my nervousness, I'm really looking forward to the trip. Northern Michigan is one of my favorite places in the world, and I'm excited to spend time with my family, too. We haven't been on a vacation "up north" in several years, so it should be fun to have a mini-reunion. And like I said, even though I haven't been biking as much as I probably should, I at least make sure to work out almost every day, and I make an effort to eat healthy, stay hydrated, and get a lot of sleep. Wish me luck!

My mom is a fitness freak. Between work and taking care of a family, she uses her workout time to get away and unwind. She’s an avid runner who also enjoys other forms of exercise, yet hasn’t been on a bike in quite awhile. Here’s a look at my mom is handling bike training:

Tuesday, April 8, 2008
First day out. Asked a friend of mine who is big into cycling for some training advice. He provided me with a looped route that took a little over 45 minutes to accomplish. Probably about right for my maiden training voyage. He said I would “use the gears like crazy” and he didn’t lie. He also advised to “avoid coasting” on the downhill. I suspect the point was to use my legs as much as possible in order to get them into shape, but it’s pretty difficult not to coast on a downhill in which I’m already in the most difficult gear and my legs are having difficulty keeping up with the speed at which the wheels are flying. Conversely, I’m going to have to ask him if getting out of the saddle is permissible on the uphill.

Forced to venture out during rush hour. Not optimum, but what’s a working girl to do? Riding before work in the morning is not an option because it would be dark. Bad enough I run twice a week well before dawn but going out on a bike would be even more reckless. Ran 5 miles this morning. I’ll probably sleep well tonight! Wore my heart rate monitor for the ride and burned 171 calories. Not bad. But, I digress. It’s spring in Michigan and potholes abound making the ride a bit treacherous in a couple of spots. Not to mention the drivers who don’t share the road well.

Speaking of workouts, I’m going to have to make some sacrifices to fit in this bike training. Gave up plyometrics today. I can live with that because it’s WAY challenging. Also going to skip 1 day of yoga, which I can also live with because I do that twice a week. I will, however, be VERY sad about having to forego my ONE day a week in the pool. I’m able to get in the water 4 days a week in the summer, but during the winter months, it’s down to only once a week.

HIGHLIGHT: Saw an egret in a marsh!

Thursday, April 10, 2008
Cold and rainy – couldn’t get out on the bike. MAD! Took to the yoga mat in keeping with my regular routine. It had better not rain on Saturday!

Saturday, April 12, 2008
Cold and rainy AGAIN – no ride. MAD! On the “up” side, I was able to get to the pool. Woo hoo! Yoga too.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Another good outing. Weather very nice. Rode a little extra since I had the time. Rode what must have been within somewhat close proximity to some greaseball, trans fat-laden restaurant. What a stench (oil that’s used over and over and over and over again). Made me nauseous for a minute. And to think people eat that crap. I used to eat that crap. BLECH!

HIGHLIGHT: Saw a heron in the marsh this time. Always a good omen.

And finally, my quick update on my recent training:

I’ve just started finals week at my school. Needless to say, with all of my non-school related projects (A Sizable Apple!) and preparing for finals, I’ve been a little stressed and a little busy as well. Thankfully I have great roommates that enjoy blowing off steam in great ways. Last week I went on an hour long ride and did some good exploring of the west Michigan area. Only down side was the road kill and abundance of farms. Dead animals up close are not pleasant and the lingering smell of manure in the air isn’t my favorite, but hey I’m just a city girl at heart.

On the days I’m not able to get out on my bike, I’ve been trying to get out running, or at least going for a walk. Saturday I went mountain climbing on the indoor facility on campus. Hadn’t done that in a few years and although it was a little scary, it was a great challenge and just got me more excited for that great sore feeling that reminds you how hard you worked the day before.

I’ve been on my bike a few more times this week with my roommates. Although none of them are into the long rides like me, I was able to coax one of them and we stayed out for an hour completing about a 10 mile loop. I hope to get out again today since I have a break in my schedule. My rides haven’t been anywhere close to the Zoo-de-Mack 50, but going regularly will help a lot.

Biking is one of my favorite forms of exercise, especially when the weather is nice. It's much easier to go on a ride than it is for me to go running. I can last longer on my bike and with changing gears, each course can vary in difficulty which provides some good variation on the same land. More so, biking is a little more exciting since you're moving at a faster pace than a run, and good for a group activity as well.