Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tips for outdoor exercise

On Sunday I went out biking with my dad. We jumped on the local trail and stayed out for about two and a half hours. It was a bit longer than my latest rides and totaled in at about 30 miles once we finished.

I wasn’t as prepared for the ride as I could have been, strength wise and equipment wise as well. My lack of preparation inspired me to put together a post on the topic. No matter what your activities are this spring, it’s important to get ready well.

The weather on my ride was a little unpredictable. I started off with a pull-over on, which gave me some options- wear the fleece pull over, don’t, or put it under my butt to keep the ride a bit more enjoyable.

My tip:
If you’re going to be out doors for an extended period of time, stock up on clothes! Check the weather report for the entire day, just in case your activity runs later. Prepare yourself for a little warmer, colder and wetter than the forecast calls for. Save your skin with sunscreen, even if temperatures aren’t souring, you can still get burned with partially cloudy skies.

Needless to say, my minimal supply of water didn’t last the difficult 2.5 hour trek. A water bottle is usually all I bring on a ride like that, which does me alright. Thankfully the sun wasn’t beating down, or else I would have guzzled my supply earlier on. I should have at least thrown an extra water bottle in the car for the ride home.

My tip:
Pack way more than you’ll need, no matter the weather. Your extra bottle could come in handy for a friend or be the water over your face you need at the end of a hot day.

Most of my ill preparations steamed from the fact that I didn’t want to carry a backpack with me. I did have a small fanny pack strapped onto my bike, which housed my cd player and cell phone in case of emergency. I should have thrown some Kleenex and a granola bar or two in there just for safe keeping.

My tip:
Buy yourself a sweet bag. Backpack, large purse or fanny pack, it doesn’t matter how silly you look with it on, as long as it gets the job done. Not all outdoor activities make it possible to tote a bag along side, but storing one near by, or keeping supplies in your car and looping back often is a good idea to keeping safe in all kinds of weather.

Also, with warm weather (here at least) approaching, check out my post from last summer on heat related injuries.