Thursday, April 10, 2008

Organized races: Michigan biking

I promised yesterday to include everyone on the race I’m taking part in! At the end of May, my family and I will head to northern Michigan to participate in the 19th annual Zoo-De-Mack bike race.

My dad rode it a few years ago with a friend and suggested the whole family get on board this year. The ride spans 51 miles along Lake Michigan from Boyne Highlands to Mackinac City. Should be an absolute gorgeous ride assuming the weather holds.

For more information on the Zoo-De-Mack ride, visit their site.

This is the first bike race most of my family has participated in, and with ranging levels of biking skills, it’ll be nice to train together for this. To stress how great I think organized athletic events are, I’m going to keep A Sizable Apple readers up to date with my training, as well as my mom and sister’s.

My sister is bikeless until the race. She’s a young 20-something trying to juggle work with wedding plans. Her guest blog will detail how she manages all her other tasks with indoor training at the gym.

My mom is a baby boomer going on 30, and an avid runner just spreading her wings to the world of biking. Finding time to start a new habit on top of a career, dedication to a normal exercise routine, and keeping up with my high school aged brother will pose an interesting challenge.

They have both graciously agreed to log their training to share. Between our dramatically different lifestyles, I think all my readers will find someone to relate to. Keep checking A Sizable Apple for our occasional training logs and an post-race recap as well.